2003 PhD, University of Washington
Fungal molecular systematics, evolution of ectomycorrhizal fungi, mycology, biogeography, mushroom taxonomy
We use natural history collections of mushrooms to investigate their systematic and evolutionary relationships. Sequence data are produced to reconstruct phylogenies, which are used to test classifications, morphological species concepts, and history of diversification patterns of mushroom-forming fungi. We are also interested in the evolution of the ectomycorrhizal (ECM) symbiosis, an important ecological feature, and how this trait has influenced biogeographic distributions and speciation patterns of the fungi involved. Research in our lab also focuses on the identification and taxonomic revision of selected groups of Agaricales. Our current fieldwork emphasizes the accumulation of temperate North American Agaricales and Australian Inocybaceae and closely related taxa. Our lab webpage is currently under construction but soon will be able to provide details on more specific projects, so please stay tuned.
- Kennedy PG, Matheny PB, Ryberg M, Henkel TW, Uehling J, Smith ME (2012) Scaling up: examining the macroecology of ectomycorrhizal fungi. Molecular Ecology 21: 4151-4154.
- Bougher NL, Matheny PB, Gates GM (2012) Five new species and records of Inocybe (Agaricales) from temperate and tropical Australia. Nuytsia 22: 57-74.
- Ryberg M, Matheny PB (2012) Asynchronous origins of ectomycorrhizal clades of Agaricales. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 279: 2003-2011.
- Matheny PB, Aime MC, Smith ME, Henkel TW (2012) New species and reports of Inocybe (Agaricales) from Guyana. Kurtziana (special invited issue) 37: 23-39.
- Matheny PB, Pradeep CK, Vrinda KB, Varghese SP (2012) Auritella foveata, a new species of Inocybaceae (Agaricales) from tropical India. Kew Bulletin 67: 119-125.
- Baroni TJ, Matheny PB (2011) A re-evaluation of gasteroid and cyphelloid species of Entolomataceae from eastern North America. Harvard Papers in Botany 16: 293-310.
- Ryberg M, Nilsson RH, Matheny PB (2011) DivBayes and SubT: exploring species diversification using Bayesian statistics. Bioinformatics 27: 2439-2440.
- Ryberg M, Matheny PB (2011) Dealing with incomplete taxon sampling and diversification of a large clade of mushroom-forming fungi. Evolution 65: 1862-1878.
- Judge B, Ammirati JF, Lincoff G, Trestrail JH, Matheny PB (2010) Ingestion of a newly described North American mushroom species from Michigan resulting in chronic renal failure: Cortinarius orellanosus. Clinical Toxicology 48: 545-549.
- Alvarado P, Manjon JL, Matheny PB, Esteve-Raventos F (2010) Tubariomyces, a new genus of Inocybaceae from the Mediterranean region. Mycologia 102: 1389-1397.
- Matheny PB, Griffith GW (2010) Mycoparasitism between Squamanita paradoxa and Cystoderma amianthinum (Cystodermateae, Agaricales). Mycoscience 51: 456-461.
- Hibbett DS, Matheny PB (2009) The relative ages of ectomycorrhizal mushrooms and their plant hosts estimated using Bayesian relaxed molecular clock analyses. BMC Biology 7:13.
- Matheny PB, Aime MC, Bougher NL, Buyck B, Desjardin DE, Horak E, Kropp BR, Lodge DJ, Trappe JM, Hibbett DS (2009) Out of the palaeotropics? Historical biogeography and diversification of the cosmopolitan mushroom family Inocybaceae. Journal of Biogeography 36: 577-592.