1987 – Ph.D., Moscow State University (USSR)
Depending on the context, I call myself a theoretical evolutionary biologist (most of the time) or an applied mathematician (sometimes). I use mathematical models to study complex evolutionary processes. Over the last several years, my research interests have mostly concentrated on the following major areas: social and cultural evolution, speciation and adaptive radiation, sexual conflict, holey fitness landscapes, and micro-evolutionary processes and macro-evolutionary patterns. I have also studied mathematical models aiming to describe/explain maintenance of genetic variation in natural populations, dynamics of genetic variation under selection, frequency-dependent selection and coevolution, maternal and parental effects, hybrid zones and clines, and spatially heterogeneous selection.
- Hayashi, T. I. , J. L. Marshall, and S. Gavrilets (2007) The dynamics of sexual conflict over mating rate with endosymbiont infection that affects reproductive phenotypes” J. Evol. Biol. 20: 2154-2164
- Gravner, J., D. Pitman, and S. Gavrilets (2007) Percolation on fitness landscapes: effects of correlation, phenotype, and incompatibilitiesJ. Theor. Biol. 248: 627-645
- Hayashi, T. I., M. Vose and S. Gavrilets (2007) Genetic differentiation by sexual conflict” Evolution 61: 516–529.
- Gavrilets, S., A. Vose, M. Barluenga, W. Salzburger, and A. Meyer 2007. “Case studies and mathematical models of ecological speciation. 1. Cichlids in a crater lake” Molecular Ecology 16: 2893–2909
- Gavrilets, S., and A. Vose “Case studies and mathematical models of ecological speciation. 2. Palms on an oceanic island” 2007 Molecular Ecology 16: 2910–2921
- Gavrilets, S. and A. Vose 2006 “The dynamics of Machiavellian intelligence” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 16823-16828
- Gavrilets, S. and Rice, W. R. 2006 “Genetic models of homosexuality: generating testable predictions”Proceedings of the Royal Society London B 273: 3031-3038
- Waxman, D. and Gavrilets, S. “20 Questions on Adaptive Dynamics” J. of Evolutionary Biology 18: 1139-1154
- Gavrilets, S. 2004 “Fitness landscapes and the Origin of Species”, Princeton Uiversity Press.